04 February 2009

Map of Aerolito


The map above is a very old one of Aerolito de Paraiso dating back to 1989. To my knowledge not much exploration of Aerolito has been done since then although it is believed that there is more cave passage to be found.

I've marked the journey Glenn and I took last Saturday on this map as a thin red line, with some annotations related to my blog post (text in a darker red). In order to see the line and all detail, click on the image for a full-size copy.

Cave maps are drawn using many different styles. As with most maps, this is a fair representation of the passages one will find in Aerolito. But passage size, depth and character cannot be adequately depicted in this 2-D medium. This is why progressive penetration is the safest technique to use when exploring a cave without a local guide. Or even with a guide.

Copyright note: This map was emailed to me from a friend. I am not aware of any copyright on the map itself nor any conditions for its distribution. If you are the copyright holder and object to its being posted here, notify me and I will promptly remove it.

No comments: