14 February 2008

Hit that, hit that snare


What a beautiful day aboard the Roseway! She is a two-masted schooner built in 1917 and currently used as a tour ship and sailing education vessel. I neglected to bring my camera on this trip so my only photo memories come from friends and from my iPhone. The photo to the right was courtesy of Lisa Greenleaf. Thanks, Lisa!

Her top rated speed is 14 knots and with the wind we had during the week we were easily making 10 knots most of the two hour tour. We were permitted walking most areas the length of the vessel except the most interesting (to me at least) which is the bow. I *love* standing on the very prow of a ship as she porpoises over the waves. Nowhere else can you get a feeling for the speed and power thru the ocean as she makes headway in the wind. I seem to thrive where many people get seasick.

There is almost an acre of sail to catch the breezes. The mainsail has a really wonderful booming "thump thump thump thump" bass sound as the free edge whips in the winds. One cannot get a sense of how big these sails are from any angle -- on the boat as a passenger or by a distant spectator. She is truly a beautiful craft! If you are ever in St. Croix during the winter months, do spend the $45 and take a tour. It is well worth the experience!

Home again

Ok, so I'm back home again and in the odd state of not having any more travel planned. Where to next? Dunnknow. Maybe Florida for diving in late spring. Maybe to Paris in April as we met a contradancer who lives there and has a spare room. Maybe to Akumal Mexico if Tracey finds there is space in a REEF fish event during May.

On the way home in our taxi/shuttle driven by a caffeine-infused driver who thinks that 55 mph is a minimum speed limit, a song came on the radio from a new group called Paramore. I've fallen in love with this song, named "Misery Business." A perfect injection of angst ridden energy to keep me going as I plow through an overflowing in-box at work. On the album version apparently the singer says "Hit that, hit that snare" at the very beginning, which is where the title of this blog entry comes from.

No comments: