14 December 2007

Nohoch nah Chich - The Giant Birdcage

Here I am .... last day and I survived, much to the relief of my family and at least one of my web clients who knew I was going on this trip.

Nohoch nah Chich as it is known in Mayan means "giant birdcage" which I am guessing is because many of the cascading rooms of floor-to-ceiling stalactites give the diver a feeling of being inside a giant birdcage. My last trip was with Glenn and we did a different side passage but not as far a penetration. The most bizzare stuff I'd ever seen in a cave was there, and of course my camera strobes quit after four pictures so I have nothing to show. Well, we didn't go down that same passage today so I still have nothing to show. I've vowed to go out again with Glenn in a few weeks and dive it until we find it.

But today we did go a very fun circuit for a 114 minute dive, up one side passage past a tiny cenote (large enough for two divers) and then further along to an air bell where we made the turn at 60 minutes (it was either turned at 3rds or 60 minutes this time). Maybe a penetration of about 2,500 feet with 4,000+ feet covered overall. Max depth was a screaming impressive 23 feet, and I think average depth was all of about 12 feet. This cave system is none too deep!

Cave diver's joke:
Q: Why do cave divers carry snorkels?
A: To slurp up that extra air stuck to the cave ceiling.
(technical note: cave divers do NOT carry snorkels! I don't think I've even carried a snorkel for an open water dive unless it was required for a PADI class.)

I took the video camera this time, figuring this may be the only time I will take video in this cave. Unfortunately two of the best shots I lined up to do I had brain farts and apparently had the camera in "standby" mode instead of record mode. I am too tired to review the tape just now but I know the first half of the dive should come out pretty nice. A lot of formations show very well when presented in 3-d motion, I think it is the only way to truly show their depth and shape.

However, I feel this cave looks better in still photography as many of the formations and rooms are so big that video perspective just gets lost. The main passage was so big that even with my powerful 10w HID set to the tightest spotlight, I still couldn't see the far wall. Visibility was a factor, though; it was a bit lower here than in other caves, even though it was entirely fresh water. Next time I will take the DSLR, armed with two big honkin' Ikelite 400's. I'll need 'em!!

Tomorrow it is home (or temporary home) back to Cozumel. I'm looking forward to diving in open water again, even though I will have to do only night dives for a while until my eyes readjust to the light.

Truthfully, as I look back on the past week, I have to say I love cave diving even more than I did before the trip. The tours have provided me with some new challenges, including the problems associated with diving with large groups. And diving with one person I don't particularly like. I am extremely thankful that all of our dives were uneventful -- no panics, no equipment problems, no lost or misplaced folks, minimal confusion with communications and no broken gear. Just fond memories of some great caves.

Will I do it again next year? Maybe.....

No comments: